Update: These instructions also apply to the RTM version of VS.
This seems to be one of the questions I am seeing most on twitter (@DougWare) so even though this information will probably be easy to find very soon as the developer center content appears, I thought I’d post what I did for those of you who just can’t wait.
Thanks to @robwindsor for helping me get started by pointing me to this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/ee554869(v=office.15). It has a section on this subject:
The problem is that I couldn’t find the link to which this refers. So, to get this working follow these steps. Note that these instructions are for On Premises development and you don’t strictly require a SharePoint installation if you want to develop using the new Apps model.
- Setup SharePoint 2013 Preview
- Install Visual Studio 2012 RC
- Download and install the Web Platform Installer 4.0 RC http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx
- Launch the Web Platform Installer and search for Office
- Install Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 RC – Preview (it installs the others you see in the screen shot)
- Download and install the SharePoint Server 2013 Client Components SDK from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30355 (Note it doesn’t have any documentation or samples in it as of this writing)
- Launch VS 2012 and have fun!
Author: Doug Ware